Did you know that music influences your driving style? And not just a little bit! Warren Brodsky, a professor of music psychology and director of the Music Science Laboratory at Ben-Gurion University in Israel, has demonstrated this correlation in his work about driving a car and it’s cognitive behavioral consequences.
It came to some interesting conclusions:
- music affects offenses, driver errors and driver behavior,
- one of the main reasons for accidents is a distracted driver,
- distraction of a driver may be due to lack of concentration caused by music in the car,
- the car is possibly the only place you can die from listening to inappropriate music genres,
- Songs that cause the above concerns are mainly ones where the number of BMPs (beats per minute) is greater than 120,
- both beginner and experienced drivers need to be more aware of the influence that music can have on their driving behavior.
(NON) SAFE SONGS
Moneybarn researchers researched 96 of the most popular Spotify songs and identified Green Day’s American Idiot as the most dangerous. Miley Cyrus was the second most dangerous with Party in the U.S.A, as well as Brightside by The Killers. Below are some interesting lists, and also at the bottom you’ll find a selection of HoppyGo playlists to keep you as safe as possible while driving.
The most dangerous songs behind the wheel:
- American Idiot – Green Day
Party in the U.S.A – Miley Cyrus
Mr. Brightside – The Killers
Don’t Let Me Down – The Chainsmokers
Born to Run – Bruce Springsteen
Surprisingly, less than 30% of the popular Spotify songs were rated safe. What songs to include in your playlist?
The safest songs behind the wheel:
Stairways to Heaven – Led Zeppelin
Under the Bridge – Red Hot Chili Peppers
God’s Plan – Drake
Africa – Toto
Location – Khalid
TRY OUR HOPPYGO PLAYLISTS
Have you already listened to your playlists and don’t play anything serious on the radio? Get inspired by our Spotify selections for all your travels. Trip with children, roadtrips with friends, journey to work – tune in to the right music to keep you safe and entertained.